Huawei Optimization Tournament
Algotester together with IOI and Huawei announces the Huawei Optimization Tournament 2021! The tournament consists of multiple rounds approximately one week long each. In every round, individual participants will face a single optimization problem and the top performers will be awarded round prizes. When all rounds are over, the tournament winners will be determined based on the scoring system. The top three of them will receive a grand tournament prize, MateBook X Pro laptop.
Round 2 will take place between July 1-11 and the registration will be open until the end of the round. The round prizes are:
- Winner: HUAWEI WATCH 3 Pro
- Runner-up: HUAWEI Bach 3
- Third place: HUAWEI FreeBuds 4
- Jury Prize: up to 5 x HUAWEI Band 6
There will be two prize sets for the following divisions:
- University and Professional
How to compete in Round 2
- If you don't have an account at Algotester, go ahead and create one.
- Sign in using your username (or email address) and password.
- If you are new to Algotester go through our Help section to understand how the system works.
- Follow this link to register for Round 2.
- When the round starts read the problem description.
- For a quick start, check sample solutions for available programming languages: C++, Java, C#, and Python.
- When ready submit your source code file or paste it into the embedded editor.
- All your attempts will be available on your contest submissions page.
- For announcements and Q&A go to the contest clarification page or use the contact form.
- The provisional competitor standings will be available to the public on the contest standings page.
- Read the problem description "Scoring" section for details on your submission evaluation.
- At your submissions page click a "Submission ID" link on the right and then go to the "Results" tab to see its details for each of the test cases.
- A test case result "Accepted" means that your solution has produced a valid output for this test case and received a corresponding score value, otherwise it failed to produce a valid solution within the given constraints.
- Your overall result is the maximum score of all your submissions and your penalty is the time elapsed since the contest start until you have recently improved your score.
- All competitors are sorted by the overall score (from larger to smaller) and then by the penalty time (from smaller to larger).
- When the contest is over the final testing will be triggered.
- The final results will be published within a week after the round end.
When the final results are published, in each division the top three eligible competitors can claim their prizes. Additionally, extra prizes can be awarded to some contestants according to the Jury's decision
- up to 5 in School division, and
- up to 1 in University and Professional
- To receive a prize, a winner has to provide a written report describing algorithms and data structures used in their solution.
- A notification email with detailed instructions will be sent to each of the winners.
- In School division, all winners must provide a formal document copy proving their eligibility.
Tournament Scoring and Prizes
For each round top 10 competitors with positive score will receive tournament points according to the following distribution:
- 1-st place: 25 points
- 2-nd place: 18 points
- 3-rd place: 15 points
- 4-th place: 12 points
- 5-th place: 10 points
- 6-th place: 8 points
- 7-th place: 6 points
- 8-th place: 4 points
- 9-th place: 2 points
- 10-th place: 1 point
- The final tournament leaderboard will be determined based on a participant's total points.
- If two or more participants have the same number of points, a tie-breaker system is used. The one with the most wins is ranked higher. If the number of wins is the same, it goes to the one with the most second places and so on.
- To receive a tournament prize, upon request, a winner has to provide organizers with a short video for marketing purposes.
- Emails with detailed instructions will be sent to tournament prize winners.
Note that Round 2 divisions are irrelevant to the tournament scoring which is based on the global round standings.
Round 2 Terms and Conditions
Your agreement to these terms and conditions
- 1.1 By registering for the competition, you accept these terms and conditions.
- 1.2 In these terms and conditions where we refer to the ‘Participant‘, we mean either an individual that has registered to enter the competition on its behalf.
- 2.1 The competition aims to motivate research of Algorithmic Programming. It is run by Algotester (the "Organiser"), and the competition is sponsored by Huawei (the "Sponsor").
3.1 To be eligible to enter the competition, all Participants must
- 3.1.1 have an email address through which the Organiser can communicate with the Participant in connection with the competition;
- 3.1.2 be solely responsible for creating the competition submission.
- 3.2 Other than the requirements set out in clause 3.1 above, there is no restriction on the nationality or residence status of any such Participants.
- 3.3 The Organiser’s employees, the employees of any company who are or were involved in creating or implementing the competition and their respective immediate family members, are excluded from participating in the competition.
- 3.4 In entering the competition, Participants confirm that they are eligible to do so and acknowledge that they may be required to provide proof of their eligibility to enter. The Organiser reserves the right to verify the eligibility of all Participants and to disqualify anyone who it determines (at its sole discretion) are not eligible. The Organiser also reserves the right to disqualify Participants if their conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the competition or they are in breach of any of these conditions.
- 3.5 Participation in the competition is free of charge and does not require the purchase of goods or services.
- 3.1 To be eligible to enter the competition, all Participants must
How to enter
- 4.1 The competition registration opens on 20-th June 2021. The Competition itself commences on July 1-st 2021 and ends at midnight on 11-th July 2021 (the "Deadline"). Any competition submission after the Deadline will be automatically rejected.
- 4.2 Participants can use any of the competition programming languages they wish. However, any cheating is not permitted and any such entries will be disqualified.
- 4.3 Participants are permitted to submit a maximum of one entry per 10 minutes only to the competition.
- 4.4 The Organiser and Sponsor accept no responsibility for incomplete, incorrect, lost, or delayed entries to the competition regardless of cause, including, for example, any malfunctions or failures in the Evaluation System, any equipment failure, technical malfunction or systems, network, server, computer hardware or software failure of any kind.
Determination and notification of winners
- 5.1 The final ranking and the competition winners will be announced until midnight on 18-th July 2021.
5.2 Based on the contestant registration data, the ranking will be provided separately for two divisions:
- University and Professional
6.1 For each division, the competition prizes are as listed below:
- First prize: Huawei WATCH 3 Pro.
- Second prize: Huawei Bach 3.
- Third prize: Huawei FreeBuds 4.
- Jury prize: Huawei Band 6 can be awarded to at most five contestants in School division and at most one contestant in University and Professional based on the Jury's decision.
- 6.2 The winners will be responsible for any taxes or charges incurred in claiming their respective prizes.
- 6.3 The Organiser or Sponsor shall not be responsible or accept any liability in respect of the inability of a winner to take up a prize.
- 6.4 Prizes are subject to availability and the Organiser reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative prize of equal or higher value if circumstances beyond the Organiser’s control make it necessary to do so.
- 6.5 The prize is not negotiable. Exchange of a prize or their transfer to other persons is excluded.
- 6.1 For each division, the competition prizes are as listed below:
Rights of Use
- 7.1 The Participant acknowledges that the Organiser and Sponsor’s Material is owned by the Organiser and Sponsor and that the Participant is only permitted to use, for the duration of the Competition only, the Organiser and Sponsor’s Material to test and submit entries to the competition.
- 7.2 The Participants agree to keep the Organiser and Sponsor’s Material confidential and shall not disclose them to any other individual or entity.
- 7.3 The Organiser acknowledges that the code created and used by the Participants submitted as a competition entry (the "Code") is owned by the submitting Participants.
- 7.4 The Participants warrant that the Code will not infringe any third party rights, including copyright and other intellectual property rights (e. g. patents, trademarks, design rights, know-how, etc.) and that the Participants have the right to grant a license to the Organiser and Sponsor under clause 7.5.
- 7.5 The Participants hereby grant the Organiser and Sponsor a non-exclusive limited right to access and create copies of the Code, to evaluate that the submission to enter the competition is valid and that it otherwise complies with these conditions.
- 7.6 The Participants hereby agree to give the Sponsor, for 1 year from the date submitted its Code by the Participants on the Evaluation System, the exclusive right of first refusal to exploit the Code, on such terms as the Sponsor and the Participants may agree separately in writing.
- 7.7 If the Sponsor and the Participants cannot agree on terms in connection with the Code within 3 months of the Sponsor first notifying the Participant that it would like to exploit the Code, then the Participants will be entitled to enter into negotiations and conclude an agreement with any third party with a view to such third party acquiring those rights provided that the Participants will not agree on terms with any third party that is less favorable to the Participants than those which were proposed by the Sponsor.
Limitation of Liability
- 8.1 Insofar as is permitted by law, the Organiser and the Sponsor, and its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate a winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury, or death occurring as a result of taking up a prize except where it is caused by the intentional behavior of the Organiser or Sponsor, and its agents or distributors or that of their employees. A winner‘s statutory rights are not affected.
- 8.2 Participants acknowledge that the Organiser accepts no responsibility for any communications exchanged between Participants.
Data Protection and publicity
- 9.1 By entering into this competition, the Participants agree to provide their personal information which will be used and disclosed by the Organiser and its authorized agents for competition administration and prize fulfillment.
- 9.2 Winners agree that the Organiser can use their name and photograph in promotional material in all formats worldwide, to publicize the winners of the competition, without any need or obligation to recompenses the Participants accordingly.
- 10.1 In the event of circumstances outside the reasonable control of the Organiser or otherwise where fraud, abuse, and/or an error (human or technical) affects or could affect the proper operation of this competition or the awarding of prizes, the Organiser reserves the right to cancel or amend these conditions at any stage of this competition but will endeavor to minimize the effect to Participants to avoid undue disappointment.
- 10.3 These terms and conditions shall be governed by Ukrainian law and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Ukraine.